CHARACTERISTICS OF AN ENTREPRENEUR
Your business may have started with “a dollar and a dream” but in order for it to thrive it will take character. I used to wonder why more people weren’t entrepreneurs until I became one. It is the hardest “job” I ever had and if I tried to calculate my “hourly wage” in the beginning I probably would have been in the negative! So what makes the successful entrepreneur so special? How do they make it? CHARACTER! Here are a few of the key characteristics successful entrepreneurs have.
1. Integrity: Do what you say you are going to do. There is nothing that will kill a business quicker than a lack of follow through. Whether it is a simple phone call or a project deadline, if you say you are going to do it, have it done. OR, as soon as you see you can’t do it let your customer know.
2. Passion: Entrepreneurs are intense and passionate about what they do. When you talk to them about their business it becomes very clear that doing anything else would be to their detriment. It is what wakes them up each morning and keeps them on the cutting edge in their business endeavors.
3. Endurance: Starting and maintaining a business is like running a never-ending marathon with obstacles interspersed throughout. You have to overcome every “No” you get, stick with it when the funds are low, etc. When you have 1000 reasons to quit, can you endure to prove the one reason you stuck with it.
4. Belief: No one on earth will ever see your vision as clearly as you do. But that means sometimes you will be the only one to believe in your vision. Entrepreneurs have to believe in their business when everyone and everything says otherwise.
5. Willingness to be wrong: Pause….say what? It’s true. I know your business is your baby and you know what’s best for it (most of the time). But every now and then we can be too close to something and lose some objectivity. Being able to admit we don’t always know best and recognize sound business advice when we hear it, makes great business sense.
There are so many other character traits of a successful entrepreneur….what others would you add? Share your thoughts with the MYBB community in the comments!